Mechanical engineering, the broadest of all engineering disciplines deals with design and production of tools, machines and all other mechanical equipments to be used in industries. The industry offers a wide choice of options extending across many interdisciplinary interdependent specialties. Mechanical engineering is concerned with all types of machinery in industries and all aspects of their mechanisms and functioning; the design, development, construction, production, installation, operation and maintenance; such as large steam and gas turbines, components of thermal power stations, internal combustion engines, jet engines, machine tools, air conditioning and heating machines, refrigerators etc. to name a few. They not only design and create new products, but also develop materials for them and ways of making them.
The Mechanical Engineering Department endeavours to be recognized globally for outstanding education and research leading to well qualified engineers, who are innovative, entrepreneurial and successful in the field of mechanical engineering to cater the ever changing industrial demands and societal needs.
- To impart quality education to the students to build their capability and enhancing their skills and to make them globally competitive mechanical engineers.
- To maintain state of the art research facilities to provide collaborative environment that stimulates faculty, staff and students with opportunities to create, analyze, apply and disseminate knowledge.
- To develop alliances with reputed R&D organizations, educational institutions, industry and alumni for excellence in teaching, research and consultancy practices.
- To provide the students with academic environment of excellence, leadership, ethical guidelines and lifelong learning needed for a long productive career.
In a way, Mechanical engineers are involved in creating the future. They are the driving force behind many of our technologies and industrial processes including innovative products like mobiles, PCs and DVD etc. in our modern world. The work of a Mechanical engineer can be extremely challenging and fulfilling, requiring IT, design and analytical skills together with an ability to work as a team. As their work involves production, transmission and use of mechanical power and heat, they have to analyze the different materials used for the machines and their tolerances; investigate the different energy sources and the power they generate and the design problems if any. When designing and making a commercial product they have to take into account all the business and marketing aspects to make sure that the product is affordable. They share interests with many other engineers like civil engineers in structures and stress analysis. Electrical engineers in electronics, computing and control theory; aeronautical engineers in fluid flow and turbomachinery etc. and also design tools needed by other engineers for their work. They work as part of a team with engineers as well as financial, business and management professionals on a project together. Mechanical engineers are also responsible for maintenance and repair of the devices. Care has to be taken that the plants give maximum output and the machinery is properly maintained.
The specialization include in areas like thermal engineering, design and production engineering etc.
Mechanical engineers work mainly in manufacturing farms. They can find work in administrative and managerial positions in government departments or public and private sector industries or do research as well as teaching in Research and teaching institute. They could also opt. for technical sales/marketing or worked as independent consultants.
- EligibilityTo became a mechanical engineer one should have a graduate degree (B.E/B.Tech) or postgraduate degree (M.E) or at least a diploma in Mechanical engineering.
- Job prospects & career optionsMechanical engineering finds applications in all fields of technology. They could work in many industries include private or public sector industries of various types and their work varies by industry and function.
- Remuneration The remuneration and conditions of service depend on the industry and its function. Those engineers, who choose to work in the private sector, could negotiate their terms and conditions with the management themselves.